Good luck to everyone racing the Philadelphia Marathon this weekend. I went 3:07 there in 2004 for my first Boston Qualification, and remember a few key things about the race that may/may not help you out. Here’s what I can recall:
- The first half is slower than second, so if you are trying to run sub-3 hours for example, expect to hit halfway at like 1:31-1:32.
- Some of your fastest miles should be 13-16 as you love the flats after the zoo trip and the museum.
- Running the tangents really helps shorten your day – curve to curve, don’t be a white line hugger!
- Weather is usually perfect for warm weather running gear plus a hat and gloves…wear those and adjust as needed as you heat up.
- The second half is out/back by the river, great way to be ready for the last 6 miles as you’ve just seen it all.